Recycled bicycles are those that have been donated to the BikeShed which we sell to pay for the tools and equipment at the shed. They are accepted in any condition, so when someone wants a broken or incomplete bike we see that as an opportunity to teach them how to fix a bike.
Most bikes cost between $30 and $70, with ready to ride bikes, vintage road bikes, specialised bikes and high-end bikes costing a little more. If the bike requires parts, the quoted price includes all 2nd hand parts needed to get the bike on the road.
When buying a recycled bike:
- you do all the work. We will guide you, but the aim is to teach you how to fix your bike.
- we supply all tools needed. (Do NOT bring your own tools - see the note on the home page for why)
- expect to spend many hours, and possibly days working on the bike. It will take longer if you do not have much mechanical experience, or want an unusual bike.
- always wear old clothes as they will get covered in grease.
- always bring your helmet and lights so you can ride home if you finish the bike
- bring enough money to pay for your bike so you can ride home when it is finished